Friday, February 5, 2010

Why I Ride the Bus

In thinking about aspects of my life of which I am somewhat fond, I can't help but think of the bus. Yes, I know that sounds funny, but let me explain. There are lots of things that I love about the bus:

The bus is convenient. It stops right in front of my subdivision and transports me to within ten minutes' walk of my office. (Admittedly, this is partially because one of our criteria for a house was that it be within walking range of the bus, and partially because I work at such a major employer that all the bus routes seem to go there.)

The bus is fast. My door-to-door (home to office) commute time is forty-five minutes. That's not quite as fast as a car, but it's close. (During rush hour, the bus is often the winner---hello, carpool lane!)

The bus gets me to exercise. Since that's the way I get to work, I walk fairly vigorously for at least half an hour each day. While it may not be the most intense cardiovascular activity available, I have never seen a more reliable method of consistently getting exercise.

The bus lets us get by with just one car. This alone saves us gobs of money in comparison with having to buy two vehicles. We have lower maintenance costs, smaller insurance premiums, and a lot more breathing room in our garage. That lets us save for all the other things that we want.

The bus lets me live my life while commuting. On the bus, my time is my own, to read a book, write a blog post, listen to a podcast, or enjoy a discussion with a friend. I can tune out completely, as long as I notice when we get near my stop. Commuting by car is downright frustrating in comparison.

I love the bus!

No comments:

Post a Comment