Thursday, April 29, 2010

In favor of pets

Since yesterday's thoughts on pets might have rubbed some people's fur the wrong way, let me clarify my position.

To be fair, pets probably have their uses. I know that in several households, pets are the only contact their owners have with another living being.

Some of our friends have had all their kids move out recently, and it seems that having a dog around to care for makes life easier or more comfortable. This I do not entirely understand, but I've seen it more than enough times to notice it.

Also, lots of folks are of the opinion that their kids need a pet, and who am I to refute them? I don't have kids, and having had no pets as a kid myself, I don't think I can say confidently that this is not true.

So, let me say for the record that even though I don't plan on having any pets around our house any time soon, I don't begrudge people with pets. Unless their pets are outside barking (or mooing, for that matter) at ungodly hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment