Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Something Fresh, Something New

Ever get the feeling that everything in your life is just old hat? That you're just going through the same motions each day, and not getting anywhere? I know I've felt that before, and it's certainly not pleasant.

Why do I sometimes feel that way? I believe the brain craves variety. I know that my brain certainly demands lots of novelty—I'm always looking for some new thing to interest me.

What can I do about it? I guess that I could certainly go out and buy something I haven't owned before. This seems to be the tack that most advertisers would like me to take, with their messages of "product X will make your life more exciting!" But this costs lots of money, money that I need for other things (like retiring someday). It is also a quick fix. There are steps I can take that are much cheaper and more effective.

I find a little variety very helpful. Even something simple can provide a shade of novelty, such as reading a book I wouldn't ordinarily pick up. I might even go to the library and check out a CD that is a little off my beaten path.

But you don't even have to do something different to feel fresh about your life. I've managed to rejuvenate my interest in my life by just being conscious of my life as it passes by. For me, going outside and taking a walk in the cool air (especially if it's sunny) gives my mind a lot to take in. Appreciating the moment makes me somehow more aware that my moments are limited, and this helps me get a little more interested in repurposing my time.



No comments:

Post a Comment