Friday, May 21, 2010

My vocab is not rewarded at work

So, I work in a "diverse" working environment. That is, lots of people from different ethnic groups. Which is fantastic. The perspectives that people bring to the table from their varied work experience are a real asset to the team. However, this also means that there are varying degrees of lingual proficiency (at least in English).

Honestly, despite having worked here for coming up on two years, I just realized this yesterday. It probably has something to do with my reading of a book with such a phenomenal vocabulary, which I have been enjoying. New words all the time—what a wonderful experience!

So yesterday, I was present in a meeting when someone used the term "purview". About a third of the room was thrown into confusion by this. Admittedly, it's not a technical word, so it wouldn't be something I would expect a foreigner to know. And it's certainly nobody's fault they don't know every word in what is essentially, to them, a second language.

Nonetheless, I was saddened by the realization that expanding my vocabulary is not likely to bolster rapport with my co-workers, nor is it likely to be the fun cooperative game in which I have participated throughout my life, from my family to my four-two-love friends.

Anybody have any tips on building word power in such an environment?

For now, I guess I'll stick to Scrabble on weekends.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I'm glad you liked my hyphenation article.

    I like this post about vocabulary. You probably already subscribe to dictionary.com's word of the day. Fun stuff! But lately I have noticed that they are showcasing other words on their homepage. Besides word of the day, they now have a question of the day, little "did you know" quips that periodically change, and sidebars with unusual words. The other day the words were "arroyo," "crapulous," and my favorite, "boondoggle."

    I know a fun way to learn words, but it will take some space to explain, so I'll blog about it in the next few days.

    ReplyDelete