Monday, May 24, 2010

Random Musical Tidbit

Happened today across a video of Lisa Bassenge's rendition of a song "Overload". (I really dig the break at 2:23.) She's been affiliated with Jazzanova's Sonar Kollektiv label through her group Micatone, and produced some excellent music then and since. I think this whole subculture of Berlin is taking an exciting tack on contemporary music.

It is of particular note that jazz, an American invention, is being moved along by other countries. Of course, this kind of globalization goes all ways, but it is refreshing to see a different take on the style. Kind of a beneficial cross-pollination, in the musical landscape.

1 comment:

  1. Cool video. I've never heard of "Overload" before, and it's not quite my favorite style, but it definitely has some groove to it. One thing I do love is the (4+3)/4 time signature. I love how when you get to beat 6 or 7 and you're subconsciously expecting 2 or 1 more beats. Then all of a sudden you hear the downbeat, and you're like "Woah! There's the beginning of the measure again."

    ReplyDelete